During Wente School today we remembered 9/11. We watched a small video and I was able to talk to my children about what happened that day. It brought some tears from me and them and some anger and shock. But it is important that they know, that they know how GREAT America is. How we came together as a nation, after that horrendous event and pulled each other through. How selfless the New York first responders were that day. How there are still soldiers out defending us and others because of that day. Children are the future. And They can learn from the past to make America even better. So we decided that after school was done, that we would take thank you notes and cookies to our local Fire Department, to let them know that we appreciate them and the danger that they put themselves into everyday. It was an amazing experiance, they were so kind and happy to have us there. They showed us around, teased the kids, let them get in the truck. We go to see some of them leave to go on a call for a person who was injured. We got to watch as they pulled away, and then again as they came back. I loved it, the kids loved it, I think that this might have to become a tradition.
This was hanging prominently in their break room. Amazing.
Off on their call.
A little bum crack... Tes's signature. :)
The brand new truck.
Thank you Medford Fire Department!
Vann carried around Red the Fire Truck from the movie Cars the whole trip. The kid was in heaven, and full of questions. Whats this? Is that a hose? Whats that? Pure joy when they let him in the firetruck.
2 comments:
What a great idea! How awesome that you're teaching your kids about this. I was thinking about how to/when to best grab Hayden's attention to teach him about this. I'm excited to follow your home-schooling. I'm still in the "I'm not sure" stage.... Since my first is just barely starting Kindergarten, I figure I'd better give it a chance before deciding to do it on my own! Keep up the posting so I can get some good ideas!
This is Kelly Bluth, I admire you so much for the wonderful field trip you took your kids on and how you are teaching them. I'm sure it really made an impression on them. It would be a great tradition to begin. I'm sure the firemen were thrilled to have you come.
Post a Comment