Saturday, September 10, 2011

Wente School

Ok so this has been a journey for me. If you would have asked me if I was going to homeschool, before I had kids , I would have laughed at you and told you NO WAY! Homeschool kids are always weird! And then I had kids. And then those kids, whom I hold most dear in all the world, started school. And all of my perceptions and preconceived notions on schooling  my children myself changed. There are several different reasons that all played a part in this decision.
I watched as I sent my children out day after day, and a small piece of their innocence was robbed from them every time they stepped on the bus. I found myself at odds with the the principle of their school, when there was really no need to be. We should be on the same side right? The "whats best for the child" side. Not the "us vs. them" mentality.... "Parents vs. Teaching professionals " .  After 4 years and 3 different elementary schools I had had enough of the bureaucracy of the public school system, attendance for funding, free lunch program, and tons of fundraisers. Oregon spends $10,260 per child per school year to educate them. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! If I had 10k per kid to educate them we would be taking field trips.... to Europe!
Ok, so I had all these reasons to do it... But yet I wasn't doing it. I was dragging my feet. And I realized that it was for a totally selfish reason. I liked my time. I liked it when the kids were at school and I had time to do the things that I WANTED to do. I get stuff done, complete projects. And then I realized that the only thing that was keeping me from doing what was best for my kids, was me. My heart changed, I received true answer to prayers and inspiration... and I believe a whole lot of strength.  Soon after this realization I started to research homeschooling options. We settled on Sonlight curriculum and we are enrolled in a charter homeschool school, so I get some help to make sure I am on track with their learning and the kids get the options of classes at the school for a little socialization. A win win.
So here is the arrival of our curriculum. Sonlight is Christian Literature based learning and it has a great lesson plans already prepared for you. I can always add this and that and supplement it, but for the most part the hard part has already been done for me.

Photobucket

Lots and lots of books! Our subjects include: Scripture, history, geography, spelling, handwriting, individual reading, writing, science and math.
Photobucket

Starting to get organized. I will be doing the bulk of the schooling with the kids and Nathan will be helping when he can. We actually had our first day of School on Labor day so Nathan was able to actively participate that whole day. It was very nice, both of us taking an active role in the education of our family.
Photobucket

Cant live with out this... It has all of the lessons for each week including study guides and suggested  activities. Killer.
Photobucket

We don't call call it "Homeschool" we all call it Wente school. And of course knowing me, I had to at least get a little crafty. :)
Photobucket

Vann, of course,  is in Wente School as well. We are practicing drawing airplanes and the letter V. :) He loves his binder and especially his very own box of crayons, markers and scissors. (These didn't last long as he could not seem to keep himself from coloring on everything BUT paper)
Photobucket

The kids school desks...Thanks Mimi and Papa! They work great and are convenient.
Photobucket

Inside Braydan's
Photobucket

Inside Tes'
Photobucket

Ok so we couldn't start without official first day of school pictures. Here is Tessisue, 7 years old and ready to start 2nd grade.
Photobucket

Braydan...our big 4th grader.
Photobucket

And Vann the Man who had to have a picture too. Our little Preschooler.
Photobucket

Ok, here goes nothing!
Photobucket

History/ Geography... learning about the continents and the oceans.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And on to handwriting. We will be concentrating on this pretty hard, especially for Braydan.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And now Math. Braydan is doing Teaching Textbooks, which is created especially for homeschoolers. He loves it so far. Tes is doing Horizons, but we will do Teaching Textbooks with her next year too I think.
Photobucket

Photobucket

So week one was a success. I found it fun and very gratifying to teach my own children. We work hard and are usually done by noon. We have school Monday through Thursday with Fridays off. They take an art class at the school on fridays.
 I think it will be challenging (especially with two little guys who want Mom's attention too) but well worth it in the long run. Who knows and loves my kids better then Nathan and I? We will be able to concentrate on what they need, on core principles and values, on learning... and being good. And like I posted on Facebook... I Homeschool because I have seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children. :)

4 comments:

Tami said...

Very cool! We started homeschooling for a lot of the same reasons you did. Minus the pubic school issues but add in Private school issues. I too said I would never ever homeschool my kids. HA! I learned to never say never. We saw such a huge difference in attitudes and I think it has made us all closer. I hope that it keeps going well for you guys!

Talks on the Daily Walk said...

Is it weird that I have the same exact lamp and picture collage?? Love the black clean look!!!

lydiapher said...

done by noon! And...Tes and Braydan may increase their independence rapidly (seems like that happens), so even when they are "in school", you'll be able to basically let them drive on their own.

Kathy Greidanus said...

Congratulations on such a wonderful beginning!

You chose some amazing curriculum. It is so wonderful to see the school desks being used by your family. We put so much love into making the desks nice for our kids, and I love to see how perfectly they fit for your kids to be home schooled. Enjoy every second!