Ok so my Granny squares are done and in the last few days I have finally finished piecing them together and putting the final borders on. I used acrylic yarn from Walmart, (which after buying some wool "good stuff" I will never buy acrylic again, even though it is way less expensive) I learned from
this site how to do the squares. (which I still did wrong but they are good enough and now I know.) The point of this afgan was to learn anyway. There are 64 squares and 4 rows of border. The real wool yarn is much softer then the acrlic as well which is another reason I will never use acrilic agian. The one good thing about acrilyc is that is can be dried on low in a dryer. Wool you have to air dry or else you felt it together and it becomes a fourth of the size. :) So you will have to let me know what you think of this. I have been staring at it for too long to have an opinion yet. I might need to put it away for awile and then bring it back out.
ok so here are the pics of the process.
The start of my 64 squares:

This is called "Blocking" your squares. You get them wet and measure them out and pin them down, so that they dry the size that you want. Now all your squares are the same size.

All finished. The shell border I used on it seemed to give the edges a little bit of a ripple. But I am ok with it. :) Here is the
tutorial that I used on piecing the blocks together. (this is also the site that totally inspired me to learn how to crochet. I love all the colors she uses)

And of course when I lay a blanket out on the floor it must be an invitation to the man, to come and Dance a Jig on top of it.


The start of the next crochet project:
I am already really liking this one. The ripple pattern is very easy and soothing. And I dont have to block or sew blocks together on this one! The only problem is that I am using
Rowan pure wool DK yarn on this and it is not cheap or does it come in big amounts. So this one might take me awile. I also am feeling the quilting bug and I have a teacher apron to make by tommorrow. :) To many ideas and not enough time.
5 comments:
I love it. The colors are perfect and all the different grannys are darling! It turned out great. See, now I want to make one. Can I get the real wool yarn at Michaels or Joanns? Then I could use the 40% off coupon. And I love the ripple one you're working on. So cute. How do you get so much accomplished?
I'm working on the quiet book pages and it's hard to find time to work on it. When I do the house falls apart. If you haven't seen Cheryls trial quiet book pages look on the 2nd ward R.S. blog. But her quiet book pages for the book is going to be a barn with little animal finger puppets. Really cute.
Those are so great. I've been wanting to learn. I have a few SIL who crochet and Im hoping to find some time to learn. Now after seeing what you have made, it makes me want to do it even more.
That is amazing! I love it!
That looks like it took you awhile to do. They are very, very cute. I am very impressed that you taught yourself to make them. I am not that talented. I need someone to show me step by step. You are awesome!!!
my question is..did you say you are a beginner? I wonder what is the skill level for a granny square? I'm intimadated just looking at it!
Post a Comment