Thursday, February 12, 2009

Way to go Salma

Saw this story on Fox news this morning, and I thought it was wonderful.
{click here to read or watch the story}
What a caring and unselfish thing for her to do. There is such a stigma here in the States (and probably elsewhere) about this type of thing. But I don't really see what the big deal is. That baby probably got the best nourishment in that one feeding with Salma then he will ever get again. High five to her, I think she did a wonderful thing. I dont know if I would have had the courage to do that.
I have been called a Jersey Cow by more then 1 friend in my life, and I have often contemplated, after hearing stories and having friends who struggled to have enough milk to exclusivley feed their babies, that I have plenty of milk, more then enough in fact, I wish there was some way I could help, give it to them. But in todays society, I think that it would be offensive. Wet nurses were common place before formula became available. There was nothing wrong with it, it was a way to give your baby the best possible nourishment. So, anyway to all my sisters and friends, I now say that if I am lactating, and you are in need of milk for your babies, then you are more then welcome to share in the "liquid gold" :) And Salma is the bomb.

7 comments:

Jillian Sandler said...

HI! I just posted as well and I totally agree! Great blog by the way!

Anonymous said...

you rock......i am so there with you sista.......

Jillian Sandler said...

I'm fairly new at the blogging, but I am enjoying it and trying to be better at keeping up with it. You should check out Angela's blog if you havent already! bicycleirish.blogspot.com Your family is adorable!

Janice said...

Amen! I'm not really sure why this a "controversial" story. It's great and totally natural.

Nola said...

I totally agree. I would've let her nurse my babies any time:)

Julia said...

I think that is pretty special. It use to be totally normal to do this. I do know of women who donate their extra milk to cancer patients and to babies who don't get breast milk. Their is a website set up. I will go find it. Way to go Salma. I am so happy to provide that nourishment to my babies I can't imagine the women who can't due to poverty. So sad...

Paula said...

Wow! Great story! And thanks for the 'offer'...I'll keep you in mind! ; D