Thursday, February 05, 2009

Meet Moe the Dog

The Story of Moe:
I had been contemplating a dog for about a month or so but Nathan was a "no go". One day we walked to a small park that is about 2 blocks away form us, to play. Abutting the park was a fence to someones yard and as the kids played I noticed that there were a few dogs back there. Nathan was on top of the play ground with the kids and he said that they looked like labs. So as I caught glimpses of these dogs through the cracks in the fence I had this overwhelming feeling that I should go knock on the door of that house and talk to them about their dogs. Now, that is totally not me. To go and knock on a complete strangers door and start up a conversation about their dogs. ya right.
But go I did, and a girl about 22-23 answered the door, and I asked her about the dogs. She said they were indeed labs and she brought one out for me to see. It was the biggest lab I had ever seen. He was like a puppy, when their head and paws are still to big for their bodies, yet he was full grown. She wasn't certain if he was pure, she had gotten him from a rescue ranch. The kids and I admired and played with him for a few minutes and then she told me that she didn't live there, her Dad did. And he was taking care of Moe, for her because her apartments didn't allow pets. But, her Dad was going to get Remarried soon, and his soon to be wife didn't want Moe. She thought that she might have to get rid of him. So, I gave her our phone # and told her to call us if that ended up being the case.
Nathan and talked about it later that night and after much talking and planning (and some arguing) we finally agreed that if she called back we would take him. Weeks went by and I figured that it wasn't going to happen. I was a bit confused for I knew that I was inspired to knock on that door, but with no call I didn't know why. Then out of the blue, she called and told me that she had forgotten all about it until today, when her Dad had told her that Moe needed to go. So he was headed out, either to us or to the pound. So after a trip to Medford to get Moe some food, treats, toys and a bed. We went and picked him up.
We brought him home and let him sniff the place out. I think that he had been stuck in that backyard for a very long time and I also think that he hadn't had a bath in the 3 years that they had him. We gave him a bath that night and I had to rewash him 3-4 times just to get all the dirt out. After he was clean and dry he got in his new bed and we let him spend the evening and that night inside. Now he is an outside Dog for the most part. But like Maddie, my mom and Dads dog, we have put aside a little place in the kitchen that is his place. He isn't aloud anywhere else in the house but that area in the kitchen. And that works well. We let him spend the night on his bed in the kitchen because it is pretty cold outside, and I wanted him to get used to it (and to know if he had any bad habits) Because when Nathan leave for conferences and stuff I would have him inside. So there you go. He is a great dog. More then I could have hoped for, gentle and loving and very well mannered. Vann has smacked him, pulled on him, landed on him, took his ball and he has never even looked irritated. Just gives Vann a lick. He now walks with me to get Braydan and I will be taking him on my weekly hikes. He stays right by me. He loves tennis balls and can fetch like no other. We are very lucky to have him. And he is pretty spoiled rotten too. I truly feel that there is a reason that we have Moe, that he is meant to be a part of our family. And watch out Maddie....we are working on our tricks, he will catch up fast I think. :)
The only issue that Moe has is that he has a light case of K9 Epilepsy. I have witnessed one of his seizures and it was so sad. I just sat and held his massive head and the kids and I talked to him and he slowly came out of it. His previous owner didn't have him on any meds, and claimed it only happens once every few months. I am hoping to get it taken care of. He goes in for a once over at the Vet tomorrow.


Moe the Dog. :)

2 comments:

Jackie B. said...

Moe is beautiful!!! Congrats! I hope to get a dog in a yr or so. We would LOVE to have 2 labs. :)

Paula said...

What a cute story!! Almost made me want to cry! haha I'm not even a 'dog-person' so to speak, either...but 'yay' for Moe! He now has a great little family to be part of and owners that will actually take care of him!