
Iceland is a beautiful land, and mostly untouched. Nathan and I both just fell in love with the beauty, the people, and the small town feel of this country. And we had so much fun being there with our Iceland family. I feel we truly got to immerse ourselves in the culture, not just be tourists. We were able to attend the branch in Reykjavik one Sunday which was a neat experience. And the branch president just happened to be a tour guide and he offered to take us on a tour, which was one of my favorite parts of the trip. As we drove through almost untouched countryside Gumi (his nick name) told us all the history and different stories of the places we passed by and stopped at. We were able to see Icelandic horses, hundreds of years old moss, glaciers, volcanic and geothermic fields, and Geysir and Gulfoss which is a Geyser and a huge 2 tiered waterfall...amazing. We were literally 5 feet away from this geyser, being able to witness 1st hand how spectacular our earth is. We also went to a place called the Blue Lagoon,
which was another favorite. There is nothing like it being freezing cold outside and taking a long soak in a geothermic hot spring. I felt like i was in Hawaii not Iceland...beautiful. Another incredible thing about Iceland in the winter is New Years Eve. I do not even know how to explain it. Take your average city firework show on the 4th of July and allow almost every house in town set them off. That is how it is... it is truly amazing. This picture really doesn't do them justice.
So to keep it short we had a really good time. We were able to celebrate Christmas and the New Year in Iceland and have a really great time with our family. It is a trip full of memories that I will never forget and I am so thankful to our family how made it possible. Mom and Dad Fiske thank you so much for getting the ball rolling and and funding such a huge part of the trip without you it never would have happened, love you guys. Uncle Keith and Aunt Asta thank you so much for your hospitality and patience. For allowing us all to stay in your home and for making our stay so memorable. (I hope the glass breaking curse left with us!)



No comments:
Post a Comment